Senior Manager of Digital Products for The Bakersfield Californian. (2004 to Present)
- Responsible for product strategy, management and marketing for several new products for The Bakersfield Californian company. These include the award-winning Bakomatic social media platform that powers 9 sites. Among them are Bakotopia.com, a social media site for young downtown hipsters ("Edgie" winner for 2006); Masbakersfield.com, and Northwestvoice.com. These sites run on a homegrown platform called "Bakomatic" that I manage along with a small "virtual" team of developers.
- Worked collaboratively to set new business, content and technology strategies for Bakersfield.com. Found new partnerships that improve site quality while also putting Bakersfield.com on a clear path to profitability.
- Found vendor and managed launch for Bakersfieldhealthsource.com, the online companion to a printed directory of health providers.
President and Chief Consultant for FutureForecast Consulting. (2004 to Present)
- Provide product, media and marketing consulting services to small to medium-sized companies; specialize in both web and print products, with particular emphasis on online community.
- Find more details at http://www.futureforecast.com
- Set strategy for new digital
photography products based on market research and consumer demand.
- Listed as inventor on USPTO application 20040177057.
- Defined product requirements in conjunction with engineers and designers.
- Liaisoned with business strategy to identify opportunities for monetization.
- Wrote requirements for new AOL Chat features.
- Defined strategy for "Real World Organizations" business to provide community solutions for activity groups, such as Little League.
- Managed development of new community tools, such as 1-2-3 Publish and Easy Designer.
- Worked with premium content partners such as Warner Bros. Online, C|Net and Better Homes & Gardens.
- Produced multimedia Web packages about daily news topics for paying clients.
- Was a critical member of the team that put The Washington Post on the Web for the first time.
- Managed rollout of Business and Consumer Technology sections.
- Created software review database.
- Managed "best of the web" features.
- Ran interactive contests and polls.
- Directed music and nightlife coverage.
- Managed community discussion areas.
- Performed live coverage of events.
- Updated breaking news and created daily news packages.
- Created newspaper's first World Wide Web site. Wrote feature stories about how the Internet affects daily life, along with general features.
- Wrote daily news and feature stories.
- Pulled paper out of $50,000 debt, modernized production process, redesigned paper. Directed 10 editors and 30 reporters. Put paper online.
Awards and Honors
- 2006 Knight Batten Award for Innovation in Journalism for the "Bakomatic" platform.
- NAA "Edgie" Award for Bakotopia.com in 2006.
- Recipient of 2005 "20 under 40" award, granted each year to 20 people by the Newspaper Association of America. All award recipients are nominated by peers.
- Newly invited to be on the advisory board for the University of Colorado School of Journalism and Mass Communication. This is a three-year volunteer position.
- Selected Outstanding Senior of the Year in 1994 by faculty of the University of Colorado School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
- Bachelor of Science degree in news/editorial, University of Colorado School of Journalism and Mass Communication (1994).
- Completed reporting internships at the Fort Collins Coloradoan and The Denver Post.
- Busineness strategy and management.
- Product management.
- Content development.
- Original reporting and research.
- HTML and web authoring tools, PHP, MySQL, MSOffice Suite.